I recently took a weekend trip to visit a friend (and her awesome boyfriend) in Portland. It was so great to explore, get my friendship on, eat/drink a ton, and enjoy the beautiful city.
Our partial itinerary:
- Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Bar
- Central Absinthe Root Beer Float, etc.
- Ace Hotel + Clyde Common Best Dark and Stormy ever. Housemade ginger beer.
- Interurban Brunch. Salted Caramel French Toast with Blueberry & Maple Compote (as amazing as it sounds). Polenta and Eggs. Breakfast Biscuit. Omelet and Fries. All good.
- Lan Su Chinese Garden Beautiful gardens. Exquisite embroidery.
- Aerial Tram Overview of the city. So much green!
- Powell's City of Books Massive bookstore.
- Beam and Anchor One of the many charming shops we visited. Beautiful identity designed by OMFGCO.
- Ruby Jewel Crazy good ice cream. Salted Black Licorice (in a housemade waffle cone) was my favorite.
- Vancouver, Washington for a home-cooked meal.
- Kask Cocktails. Bicycles & Baskets, etc.
- Interurban Cocktails. Mexican Coffee (prepped flaming), etc. Best Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie ever! Served fresh out of the oven with brandied vanilla milk for dipping. Amazing.
- Albina Press Perfect lattes. Made with Stumptown beans.
- Flavour Spot Waffle Sandwiches. Love this idea. Ham and Gouda and Butter and Sugar were the best ones.
- Mississippi Ave Shopping. Bought some truffle salt and Chef Salt for my husband at The Meadow.
- Saturday Market Browsing. People watching.
- Grilled Cheese Grill Grilled cheese served in a bus.
Lots of gold leaf lettering, speakeasy style bars, cedar picnic tables, open storefronts, food carts, air plants, greenery, beards.
I did not notice birds on things, but I was seeing taxidermy all over the place (in bars, on logos, sold in shops). Portlandia should do an updated skit called: "Put a deer head on it."
Overall, it was a great trip. My friend loves to move/explore. I am grateful that our friendship is full of great memories in various cities.